Navigation Pages

Sunday 8 November 2015

Bad Run

There are some runs that are just Bad. You don't know why they hurt so much. You've done the training and you're not injured and it's only 10km for goodness sake and the terrain is forgiving and there is no reason whatsoever for it to be so shit. But it is.

Ten minutes in your stomach feels funny and your head starts swimming and your pace quickens even though you're going 8.5km/hr and your skin gets clammy and your spirit is well and truly broken less than halfway through.

The 10km Dorney Lake race was a Bad Run for me. It's two laps round the Olympic rowing venue so there was a lot of flatness and a lot of physical and psychological anguish. Because it's such a large flat loop you can see the finish line for the last 2km and you'd think that would have made it better, but it did anything but. It took a huge toll on me mentally because it actually got harder the closer I got the finish line.

It felt a lot like this,

Bad Run 1

I didn't even have the strength to sprint the last bit which I always do no matter what because sprinting at the end makes me feel like I got a good time even if I didn't.

Bad Run 2

After crossing the finish line I fell against Boyfriend and started cramping a bit. We were promised victory flapjacks but there were no victory flapjacks so Boyfriend stole the candy put out for the kids’ triathlon because he thought I might be experiencing a hypoglycemic fit and sugar would help.

Bad Run 3

He didn't get told off so it was okay.

I haven't run since and that was a month ago. We have a half marathon in September which I might walk because running is clearly not working out for me. How I finished a marathon I will never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment